Please raise your hand if you are a banana cake lover… Now raise both hands if you love Nutella over anything baked! I’m a huge banana cake lover,the fragrant ripe bananas make the cake so moist and scrumptious!
I was thinking of a sweet crepe flavor combination I like: Nutella,banana and coconut. Probably,I was drooling as usual.As I start dreaming of that crepe,my thought bubble said “Why not a banana-coconut cake with nutella?” That’s when my research on Pinterest for a great banana cake,began and I found this exceptional recipe from Cooking Classy. Of course I made my tweaks and the result was stunning! Moist,light and well-balanced flavors that will make you asking for more!
I’m telling you people,this cake is dreamy!
- 1 1/3 cups (286g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (228g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (368g) mashed overripe bananas (from about 3 large)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Nutella frosting:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup nutella
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10 by 10 inch baking pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer,cream together sugar and butter then mix in sour cream and eggs. Don’t forget to scrape down the bowl during the process.
- Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Add the flour,coconut, salt,baking powder and baking soda then mix well.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan, spread into an even layer and bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 33 – 38 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Pour Nutella in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk with a hand mixer,(or by hand if you are traditionalist!),until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula,add gradually the whipped cream into the nutella and fold gently. Fold until well incorporated.
- When is done,spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Sprinkle some shredded coconut if you like and keep refrigerated.