I love winter! The cold weather inspires you create warm,hearty courses,such as slow roasted dishes, hot chocolate, complexed desserts and soups.
A great thing about soups,is that you can make any kind of soup,if you know how to marry different flavors and the combinations are plenty!
Every time,I started on a new soup recipe,my husband is always hesitant at the beginning,but he ends up eating two or three bowls of soup every time! How much I love when I prove him wrong!
Last time,I made a last minute soup. A Tostitos salsa jar was starring at me and I knew that I had to do something with it. Something creative without too much effort. That’s possibly one of the quickest and easiest soups.
A kick of spiciness,the beans and the refreshing and soothing dollop of sour cream along with the cheese,it will tickle your taste buds!
- 1 jar medium restaurant style salsa (I used Tostitos)
- 2 cups chicken broth (substitute with vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
- 1/2 cup black beans,boiled,drained and rinsed (you can always used can instead
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 sprigs of time
- 1 bay leaf
For the toppings:
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Wash and peel carrots. Cut them in 1/4 inch cubes.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil,in a medium pot,on medium high heat. Add the carrots for two-three minutes.
- Add the salsa,chicken broth,thyme,bay leaf and beans.
- Let it boil for five minutes,and reduce heat at low. Let it simmer for half an hour. That allows flavors to blend.
- Add salt and pepper and your soup is done!
- Top it with a spoon of sour cream or Mexican crema and cheddar cheese