Cacao,vanilla and sugar. We all know they taste good. But what is more important is,how to make something scrumptious,sweet,luscious with the richness of the cacao and the beautiful aromas of the vanilla. A real temptation! Something,though,not overloaded with sugar and packed with calories. Well,that now has become a challenge!
As a kid, I have always loved chocolate hazelnut spread,cookies,cake and cheesecake,and as an adult,too! Who doesn’t?You see,chocolate is so addictive,it can be eaten as breakfast,brunch,lunch,dinner.
Growing up as a Greek, they are a lot of traditions to follow and some of those are making cookies for every occasion and celebration,baklava,syrupy cakes because it’s most likely an unwritten law. “You can’t pay a visit without buying something sweet or making it!” It’s preposterous! Cooking with heart and soul! That’s my heritage and my prerogative…The warm hospitality someone can offer you…
I have a crystal-clear memory of sneaking in the kitchen,enjoying secretly and silently a jar of a chocolate hazelnut spread,with my always loyal and foodie partner in crime,my little brother… Of course,few times we got caught by our mother. There has always been a lot of hidden sweets in our house. But our mother,was making us either a cake or baking cookies,tarts and sweet pies,without to much sugar. Wherever she could,she was substituting sugar with pure honey,an ingredient full of protein and vitamins.
An irresistible healthy version of chocolate hazelnut spread! The presence of hazelnuts and cocoa is profound, and cohesive.
Prep time:10 minutes
serves: 2 cups
- 2 ½ cups hazelnut,roasted
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cacao powder
- ¼ cup date syrup,or pureed dates,or 1 1/2 teaspoon Stevia powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk.
- In a food processor or a high speed blender,add the hazelnuts. Blend until the hazelnut has become a smooth butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor or blender,and blend until it turns into a smooth spread.
- You may need to add more milk,to get that spread consistency.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.