Recently,I start grilling fruits. I was very hesitant at first,the thought of grilling something naturally sweet especially a fruit,does not belong in Greek cuisine. In Greece we grill mostly meat,vegetables and fish,but I discovered few young and surprisingly old chefs,who adopt a more contemporary cuisine and that makes me happy. I think most of the Greeks should come out of their shells and be more open minded when it comes to new techniques.
I was looking for something sweet but without the fuss of baking. Something juicy,fruity and a kick of alcohol. By grilling the nectarines, you bring out all the natural sweetness. The touch of cayenne pepper, balances the sweetness of the caramel sauce and nectarines.
Topped with whipped cream and the whiskey-pecan caramel sauce,it’s just party in your mouth!
- 4 nectarines,ripen
- 1 cup whiskey-pecan caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 8 teaspoons brown sugar
For the whiskey caramel sauce:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup whiskey (I used Jack Daniels)
- 1 tsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pecans,chopped
To make the whiskey-pecan caramel sauce:
- Combine the sugar, water, whiskey, and orange juice in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook, gently swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and starts to turn color.
- Increase the heat to thigh and boil until the syrup turns a deep amber color, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Watch carefully, as it can burn quickly.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cream and salt.
- Use a wooden spoon to carefully stir in the cream, as caramel has a tendency to hiss and splash as the cold cream hits it.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- Place the pan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the caramel thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- The mixture should be very thick. Let boiling sauce cool until it is just warm before serving.
- Heat you grill,or grilled pan. You want your grill or grilled pan to be hot.
- Wash,dry,cut in half the nectarines and remove the core.
- Sprinkle with a teaspoon of brown sugar in each half.
- Grill on each side until nice grill marks appear, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Move the fruit to a serving platter,top it with a dollop of whipped cream and drizzle with the caramel sauce.