Recently,I discovered the new Kellogg’s gluten free cereal and I am in love with it! The touch of brown sugar,slightly sweet,enough to start your day with energy.
As a kid,I disliked corn flakes and any kind of cereal in general. My mother forced me many times to eat them,because as we all know,breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I wish I would listen to her! However,as the years were passing by,I went to study,in Rhodes,an island in Greece which is far away from home,I had to start eating breakfast,because that school was no joking around,no absence,waking up early in the morning and the discipline of a military school(Kind of!).
Nowadays,as a grown up adult and a mother of a 3 year old,I had to find a way to make cereal more fun! I found an amazing recipe. The recipe calls for corn syrup. To be honest,I am not a fan of corn syrup.We don’t use it in Greece,I read about it,though and I still don’t like it. There are healthier options than that.
My little one loved it! Crunchy,topped with chocolate and the hint of almond and orange. Great way to start your day!
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 cups of gluten free corn flakes,crushed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Heat the almond butter,sugar and honey and orange zest in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Remove from heat and add crushed corn flakes and pinch of salt.
- Press mixture into a greased 8”x 11” pan or you can use muffin tins.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 seconds,until melted. Use a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir chocolate until smooth and spread over the corn flake mixture.
- Keep it in the fridge until firm.